Friday, March 18, 2011

Starry

  
     On Sunday night, I was laying on the couch watching TV, while Nick was sleeping. Starry was in one of her typical hyper moods, darting back and forth from room to room. The lilies Nick gave me for my birthday were on top of the TV. Each night I had been putting them on the stove, where the cats are not allowed. Before I had the chance to do this, I heard Starry munching on something. I quickly discovered her gnawing on a lily leaf, and I chased her away. Immediately, I did not have a good feeling. I went straight for the computer and looked up "lilies and toxicity to cats". It was easy to find. In cases of ingestion, lilies are almost always lethal to cats. To be honest, I was really mad. After cursing several times loudly and waking Nick up, he insisted we take her to the Emergency Vet. 
     Still angry, I forced her into her cat carrier, which she resisted with all of her might. We loaded her into my car and were off. It was about 12:30am, and we headed south on Broadway, a usually busy and major thoroughfare. I was trying not to speed because we saw several police cars sitting and waiting with nothing to do. After announcing to Nick, "I bet we're gonna get pulled over", sure enough within only a minute, police lights were in my rear view. I pulled into a parking lot and when the officer approached the car he said, "Did you know you have a tail light out?" Now, in Colorado, no body gets pulled over for a busted tail light under normal circumstances. Police officers only pull people over for a broken tail light, no turn signal, rolling a stop sign, and other minor offenses, when they suspect you of DUI. Seeing as though I was not going more than 5mph over the limit, I knew this is what he suspected. I was annoyed with this delay, but respectful, of course. I told him, "sorry, but my cat just ate a poisonous flower, and we're on our way to the Emergency Vet." He looked in the back and saw the cat carrier. Nick and I were still in our pajamas and far from drunk or even drinking. He took my Driver's License anyway, but said he would be quick. After he ran it, he let us go and said, "Good luck with your cat." I was surprised how nice and understanding he was, but still I was in no position to be slowed down.
     We arrived at the Emergency Vet within about 45 minutes of when she ate the lily. They were quick to bring her back and exam her. The Vet came out to talk to us. She said, they would try and induce vomiting to get the flower up, which was about 50% successful for cats (of course they will puke with no problem anytime you do not want them to).  Also, she told us they would give her charcoal to absorb the toxins before her small intestine could. In addition, they wanted to start her on aggressive fluid therapy to help flush out her system. The Vet informed us in most cases lilies will cause total kidney failure, for which the prognosis is bad. They wanted Starry to stay the night at the ER. They told us we could pick her up in the morning to take her a regular vet, where treatment was much more inexpensive. Although, the doctor was nice and caring towards Starry, the rest of the staff at this hospital were inconsiderate and seriously lacking in people-skills. They wanted a $550 deposit from us before we left, and it was 2:30am. I became too upset over this and had to go sit in the car. However, Nick was able to negotiate with them. They lowered the price and allowed us pay in the morning. When we left to go home for the night, they told Nick she had not successfully vomited. By this point, my anger was definitely fading, and my heart was breaking. They had taken her so quickly away from us. I did not even get to say "goodbye" or see her before we left.
      Neither Nick nor I slept hardly at all that night. We made the trek back across Denver to the Emergency Vet at 7am. Upon arrival, they informed us Starry was doing ok. They ran a blood test to check her kidneys and liver. Her levels were off a little, but she was actually doing very well considering the circumstances. We took her to a Vet closer to our house. We did not have an appointment, but they were completely understanding and compassionate. They got us into an exam room immediately. This was nice because we got to visit with Starry. When we let her out of her carrier, she was very affectionate and happy to see us. She crawled back and forth between our laps and lovingly rubbed us with her head. The Vet recommended we do fluid therapy for 72 hours. They continued to check her enzyme levels and hoped the fluids would flush out her system. The doctor informed us, because we had gotten her in so soon after ingesting the lily, her prognosis was good. However, she said, we were still in danger of kidney failure, especially if Starry became dehydrated. It was not easy to say "goodbye", but I felt a lot better leaving her at the small and welcoming Vet's office, rather than the giant and impersonal Emergency Vet.


     We went back to the Vet to pick Starry up at 6:30pm. I could not even go in the building at first. Now, my anger had completely melted into guilt. How could I have left the flowers there? Why didn't I know they were toxic to cats? Why was I not more careful? I was ashamed of myself and that I was crying. I sat outside on a bench for awhile. A nice, young man walking by the building stopped to see if I was all right. He told me he knew how I felt. He had lost his dog the year before. He said he hoped my cat would be ok. I mustered up some courage and went into the vet to join poor Nick, who I had abandoned in the decision making process. The Vet told us Starry had vomited that day, which was not a good sign. However, she acted very much like the same sweet Starry. She would not eat anything and was very nervous being there. Since the Vet recommended 72 hours of fluids, we decided the best thing to do was to take her back to the ER for the night, as the regular Vet does not keep pets overnight. Also, we told the her we had suffered difficulties with the staff at the Emergency Vet the night before. She called them before we left to make sure there would not be problems with payment and to tell them exactly which medical procedures to perform.
    Once again, we made the trip back to south Denver. This night went more smoothly with the staff. However, the Vet warned us since we decided to forgo any blood tests until the next day, if Starry's health declined they would call us to approve of more tests. This time they welcomed us back into the room where Starry was to spend the night, however, it was not any easier. It felt cold and sterile. She was surrounded by cages filled with other animals and noisy machines. It was so far from my side, my nook, where she routinely cuddled up each night. Again, I did not sleep well that night. I kept waking up to check my phone.
     Tuesday morning at 7am, we headed back to the ER to pick her up. They told us she had done well over night and had even eaten, which was great news. After we arrived at the regular Vet, I found she had peed in her carrier on the drive over. The poor little girl was so full of fluids she could not contain herself. Upon entering the exam room, we let her out, and she was soaked from the waist down. I tried to dry her off best I could with paper-towels, but she did not seem to care much. She was just happy to see us again. We checked her back in for the day to receive more fluids. Even though I was leaving covered in cat pee, I did not mind. I just felt awful for her, knowing she had lost her dignity and could not possibly relax in a place like that.
     As was routine now, we went back to the regular Vet at 6pm. It had been almost 48 hours since she ate the flower. Her kidneys appeared fine on her urine test, but her liver enzymes were still slightly elevated. Our vet explained now was time to decide if we wanted to take a "leap of faith". She said some medical journals only suggest 48 hours of fluids, but to be on the safe side, it would be good to take her back to the ER overnight. As our bill was rapidly approaching $1000, we decided to take the "leap of faith" and take her home. Luckily, we both had Monday and Tuesday off, but we were both due back at work and school in the morning. After we got Starry home, she was very happy to be back. She explored the apartment like it was new and cuddled with us fervently. She even wanted to eat, which was a relief. However, I could not stop replaying in my head what the vet had said, "leap of faith". How could I possibly feel okay taking a chance on something like my cat's life? I have raised Starry since she was a little kitten. Perhaps, I have coddled her too much, but she's been extremely attached to me her whole life. She follows me from room-to-room almost like a dog would. She always wants to be touching me and often begs for me to carry her. After a short time, Starry went into the bedroom and hid under my night stand. This did not sit right with me, and the uncertainty was overwhelming. So, Nick, again insisted that we take her back to the Emergency Vet.
     We arrived at the ER vet around 8:30 Tuesday night. There were no familiar faces. The vet tech at the front desk insisted we fill out the same intake forms we had filled out the first night, even though I told her we had been there the previous two nights. She quickly and sharply corrected me and told me to fill out the forms anyway. However, the Vet was nice, and after an quick exam she said she thought Starry looked really good. She said she agreed we should continue fluid therapy through Wednesday night. This time I did not even want to go back with her. It was too hard to say "goodbye" yet again, and to leave her at this place, which was scary even to me. Upon leaving, a different tech came out. He gave us our bill, which was more expensive than both nights before. Also, he informed us that we must pay immediately. When I tried to inform him of the exception they had made for us, and that our payment information was on file, he snapped at me and told me it was illegal to keep the information, and they didn't have it. After delivering a few choice words, I decided to remove myself from the building once again. When Nick came out, he told me the Vet had come to apologize. She had inadvertently added a few items to the invoice that we did not ask for, so she removed them. Also, the tech found our payment information after he actually attempted to look for it. We headed back home for the night, where I barely could sleep because my kitty was still missing from the nook.
      Wednesday morning, I went back to pick up Starry. This time I went alone because Nick had to work. I had class at 7:30am, but I missed it. Unfortunately, this will surely to take a toll on my grade because finals are next week, and I missed my rough draft critique. Likewise, my teacher was not very understanding and obviously not a cat-person. Again, I did not have an appointment at the Vet's office because they assumed Starry was at home with us. They were incredibly busy, but they welcomed me back. The vet was quick to come out and talk to me. She performed another blood test on Starry. After waiting about an hour, the blood test results came back good. All levels were within normal range. Likewise, Starry was behaving normal. We had completed about 55 hours of fluid therapy. I opted, again, to take Starry home. After a quick boost of sub-cutaneous fluids to get Starry through the day, we left. I felt bad for having given her a taste of freedom before and hoped this time would not be another tease for her. I was so relieved to have Starry home that I fell asleep almost immediately. Starry burrowed into the blankets and fell asleep, as well.  She slept most of the day. When she was awake, she was alert, interested in food, ready to cuddle, and happy to be home.
       Since then, she has been doing well. She is back to her regular eating and drinking schedule. Also, she has not vomited and has been using the litter box normally. Today, she even resumed her usual tail chases, bird viewings, and play fights with Alec. Certainly, she did not lose any of her sassy attitude. Though there is still a small chance of kidney failure for the next couple weeks, I am very hopeful and elated to have my kitty back in her designated nook.

       
  

No comments:

Post a Comment

What do you think?