Sunday, June 24, 2012

South Boulder Peak

   A couple weeks ago, I hiked up South Boulder Peak with my friend Lindsay and her dog. We started at South Mesa trailhead and hiked up Shadow Canyon. This is the second time I have climbed up Shadow Canyon this year. I did it once before when hiking to the top of Bear Peak. South Boulder Peak is just to the south of Bear Peak, and was seemingly a bit less popular.
   The air quality was less than ideal with the High Park fire burning to the north. Likewise, our views were largely obscured from the smoke and haze. We started early in the morning, but it was still rather hot outside. We did notice an abundance of butterflies and dragonflies, which I assume is due to the unusually warm Spring we had.

Hesperis Fritillary Butterfly on a Horsemint Flower

Hesperis Fritillary Butterfly on a Horsemint Flower

Siva Juniper Hairstreak Butterfly on a Showy Milkweed Flower

Prickly Pear Cactus Flower

No comments:

Post a Comment

What do you think?