Friday, June 15, 2012

Grays and Torreys Peaks

   Last Thursday, team Runs with Ptarmigans (Rob and Jody from MFP, and I) assembled to climb Torreys Peak (14,267ft), which is just outside of Idaho Springs. 
   Rob and I left Denver at 4:45a to beat any afternoon thunderstorms. We met Jody at the Bakersville exit, and she climbed in the Jeep with us. We headed up the sketchy dirt road a couple miles to the trailhead. There were a few others already there, but it was not crowded by any means.
   We began our trek at about 6:30a, high on confidence from having conquered Mount Bierstadt (14,060ft) the week before. The initial stretch of trail up Steven's Gulch is pretty level, but the beginning of the trail definitely offers a nice acclimation to the high altitude. Shortly after we started hiking, we spotted Grays Peak (14,270ft), Torreys sister peak to the south.
Grays Peak covered in a wisp of cloud
Torreys Peak
Grays and Torreys Peaks
Torreys Peak
    From here on, the trail began to get very steep and rocky. There seemed to be an abundance of wildlife and wildflowers, as well. We saw a ptarmigan, lots of pikas, some marmots, a mountain goat, a butterfly, and even some ladybugs.
Alpine Primrose

Marmot with a great view
Mountain Goat
Monarch Butterfly
Sky Pilot Flowers
    It took us close to 3 hours to reach the top of Grays Peak. We didn't stop for long, as it was very windy and a bit chilly at the top.
View from Grays - Tenmile Range and Breckenridge
View from Grays - Mt Evans and Mt Bierstadt
View from Grays - Kelso Ridge and Kelso Mountain below
View from Grays - Mosquito Range
View from Grays - Tenmile and Sawatch Ranges (Mt. of the Holy Cross in the distance)
 Then, we scrambled down a large boulder field on the northwest side of Grays leading to the saddle. Once we reached the bottom of the saddle, we began another steep climb to the top of Torreys Peak. From peak-to-peak it took us about another hour.
View from saddle
View of Grays from Torreys
View from top of Torreys
    Honestly, I was feeling a little more overwhelmed on this climb than I felt on Bierstadt the week before. I was experiencing some very mild altitude sickness; a little dizziness, some lack of coordination, and a light headache. Also, I was extremely fatigued after having only slept 3 hours the night before due to severe thunderstorms and tornadoes late in the night. However, I worked real hard to keep myself properly hydrated, and I refueled with high-carb snacks every couple hours. Likewise, I gave myself constant reassurance in my ability to make it to the top. I have found a positive and determined attitude can make or break just about anyone on a difficult hike.
Me on top of Grays with the trail up Torreys to the right
    After conquering both peaks, I definitely had that Rocky Mountain High. There aren't many better feelings in life. We took our time getting down, as it is incredible easy to slip and fall on a snowfield or on loose rocks, especially when having fatigued legs. On the way back, we excitedly and tentatively planned future trips for team Runs with Ptarmigans. We reached the car in about 3 more hours. It took us about 7 hours overall.
    I am now up to 4 out of 10 peaks climbed for 2012. I am still a little nervous about having enough time to reach this goal, but I think it is doable and realistic. If we have another dry winter, I can likely keep climbing peaks well into September and October, before it gets too snowy. However, I'm not sure my goal of backpacking 50 miles this summer is going to happen, with most of my focus placed on peak bagging. In the end, I know all that matters is that I remain driven, goal-oriented, healthy, and that I'm having fun.

1 comment:

What do you think?