Friday, January 6, 2012

Christmas Day - Squaw Mountain

On Christmas Day, Dad took me up to Squaw Mountain. It is just southwest of Evergreen and on the way to Echo Mountain Ski Resort. We parked on the side of the road and ventured up a service road that is closed for the winter. He cross country skied. I snow shoed. I have been a snowboarder for 10 years, so I don't do well on skis. The snow shoes are extremely helpful and prevent from sinking deep into the snow. I find it much more challenging than hiking because the snow adds resistance. We climbed the service road for about an hour and a half. It was pretty steep towards the top, and I found myself needing a few short breaks to catch my breath. There was about 2 feet of fresh of powder. The sky was a pristine blue, and it was rather warm in the sun.

The following Wednesday, I returned with Nick. This time we were both on snowshoes. It was still pretty warm but very gusty that day. A great deal of snow had melted even in the two days since I had been there. However, it was still a very enjoyable day.



No comments:

Post a Comment

What do you think?