Saturday, July 9, 2011

Mount Sherman - Descent

     Here are some more pictures from the summit.




     Our descent was slow-going over the loose rocks. After the talus field, we hiked to the top of the snowfield we had hiked up before. Everyone we saw going down the mountain chose to glissade. Quickly, we decided this was the way we wanted to go after hearing the joyous cheers of the people sliding down. Glissading was by far the most fun part of the trip. It was definitely a new experience for me and very exciting. (For a more detailed account, see my previous post: Glissading).
     After reaching the bottom of the snow field, we were back at the old mines. From here, it was easy-going. I was way more interested in taking photographs on the way down. We reached the car at 11:30am, which is terrific time. In the end, I was left feeling a bit of that Rocky Mountain High. This was by far the most challenging hike I have done in years, but I welcomed the challenge and was able to conquer Mount Sherman. This certainly will not be my last 14er of the summer. I will be hiking Mount Bierstadt in a couple weeks with Nick. He has never hiked above 11,000ft. I am excited to share the experience with him. I am eagerly looking forward to more adventures in the coming months.





No comments:

Post a Comment

What do you think?